Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Content Based Instruction vs. a Whole Language Approach

     Reading about different methods for teaching English as a Second Language made me think about the topic that I am conflicted with every day in my job.  Which method is more effective for teaching English as a second language within a United States school system? Content Based Instruction (CBI) or the Whole Language Approach? 
     I was lucky to have the opportunity to use thematic units or content based instruction at several schools that I have taught in until now.  Presently I am forced to use Language! The Comprehensive Literacy Curriculum, for upper grades in Bedford County Schools.  I must admit that it does make my life a lot easier to plan lessons as all the standards and strategies are built into the curriculum.  The program, published by Sopris West, is extremely grammar intensive and repetitive but the content being used as the basis for teaching is meaningless and disconnected.  It is, however, what I would call a truly multicultural curriculum, as it addresses customs from many different countries through the selection of literature.  What don't I like about the course?  I feel that the same strategies that are being used in this program should be combined with more meaningful content related to core standards that are actually being taught in each individual grade level.  The biggest problem with this program is that it often doesn't address the standards that are supposed to be taught in a Language Arts class and my class is the replacement for grade level language arts for ESL students.  So when a student goes to take the ELSA (English Linguistically Simplified Assessment) form of TCAP (Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program), and there are questions about certain literary elements or specific grammar concepts that should have been taught that year, they didn't learn them because they were not covered in the Language! program.  It might be argued that the whole language approach is more effective for teaching a foreign language, in which the student is not completely immersed within the culture on a daily basis.  I might also recommend the whole language approach for teaching English as a foreign language in another country.

     On the other hand, "CBI supports ELs' achievement of the TESOL standards (1) by integrating language and content learning, (2) by addressing the language domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing; (3) by providing support for various English language proficiency levels" (Peregoy, Boyle, 2008, p.79).  In my experience of having used both methods for teaching a second language, I feel that Content Based Instruction (CBI) is the most effective way to teach students learning English as a second language within the United States public school setting. It makes the content that is being taught more meaningful automatically because the content is alligned with other classes they are currently or will be taking.  The students are reinforced through the ability to study regular grade level subjects in a comfortable environment where they can take the time and receive the extra support to learn the difficult vocabulary or concepts associated with the content.  Then when the student is in the regular grade level class with other students, they demonstrate more confidence and mastery in the content area due to the supplementary content based instruction in their ESL classes.  Key linguistical, cultural, and grammatical issues are incorporated within the lesson through isolated practice activities based on the unit content.
     I am making the best of using the program that I must use for now by adding more interesting and varied activities.  I am also trying to find a way to make the content more interesting and meaningful to the students through side projects, but ultimately, the course is supposed to be taught with "fidelity," I'm told, so I can't really add too much.  Trust me though, I'm going to try and sway our ESL dept. to move toward CBI by doing some research.  Who knows?  Maybe we will switch, after all. 
Pensively,
Erin Cathey

Reference:    

Peregoy, S.F. & Boyle, O. (2008). Reading, writing and learning in ESL.  (5th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment